On February 24th, we had our wMobile User Group Meeting focused on the topic: Customizing wMobile Phone Menus. Our next meeting will be on April 20th, which will highlight the topic “Document Merge Templates in wMobile Desktop.”
A huge thank you to everyone who attended and participated! Below is the video recording, general notes, Speaker Deck presentation as well as the questions & answers.
Still have questions about wMobile? Feel free to reach out to our team here, and we’ll be happy to answer!
- Review of Existing Resources
- Features and fixes in wMobile
- Customizing wMobile Phone Menus
- Open Q&A
Existing wMobile Resources
- Posted on wMobile Product Page
- Included in bi-monthly newsletter
- wMobile Installer will always check for latest release
- You must be on maintenance to update
What’s New in wMobile?
- Update of Telerik Framework, used to build wMobile, which has resolved display issues found in Edge, on iPads etc.
- Change in Default User Options and Users Options for user’s mobile phone setting (used in merge forms and used for SMS notifications)
- Email account setting for TLS
What’s new in wMobile Phone?
- Added option for list page size.
- Fixed a problem where blank date fields in were populated with the current date.
- Fixed a problem where the user got an error sending a template when the attachment is missing.
What’s new in wMobile Desktop?
- Added support for record deletion
- Additions to template functionality to add C1 and C2 fields and user variables
- Addition of hyperlink functionality in Linked Docs tab
- Added Fax field to Additional contacts tab with custom label, if used in GoldMine.
- Filters for Pending/History/Activity List tabs are now sticky
- LastContOn not getting update on appointment completion (only calls), also now showing specific time
- Support for custom fields in Projects
- Added option to format international phone format when creating a new contact record.
- Added Activity code in History Activity list
What’s Fixed in wMobile Desktop
- When searching a contact that does not exist and trying to create a new one, an index out of range error occurred
- Error on exporting Filter results
- F2 lookup values missing when editing a pending activity
- Left ‘pad’ items such as Contacts, Filters, Groups appearing upside down in some browsers
- Error on sorting Cases by CreatedDate
- iPad display issues
- Cannot deselect contact tabs in Options | Contact | Tabs on iPad
- Cannot get to bottom of meeting reference lookup list on iPad
- Option to edit Manager field in Projects now clearly has a lookup list for selection
- Check Names functionality when composing new email
Feature Topic: Customizing wMobile Phone Menus
- The topic selected in our last poll was Customizing Phone menus.
- It’s possible to customize the home menu so users have just the functions they need, with a minimum of scrolling.
- It’s also possible to remove unused components on the Contact page.
- These changes can be made by an admin in the wMobile Manager Console and will apply to all users.
Customizing Main Menu in Phone
- To customize the main menu, navigate in the wMobile Explorer pane on the left to wMobile | Phone | UI | Menus | Home Menu.
- In the middle pane, a representation of the wMobile main menu will be displayed.
- Any item in gray and italicized is not displayed on the wMobile main menu.
Show/Hide Menu Items
- To change whether an item appears on the menu, select it on the display on the right, and scroll down to the Visible field on the left.
- Edit the Visible value as True or False as needed.
Change Menu List Order
- You can Remove a highlighted menu item, although it’s generally recommended to hide it unless you’re sure it won’t be used.
- Use the Move Up or Move Down options to reorder the menu.
- Restore default will restore the main menu to the default menu when installed.
- Use the Save icon on the toolbar to save changes.
- Changes will be seen in wMobile after a refresh or logging out and back in.
Add a New Menu Item
- Edit the Properties in the box below the wMobile Explorer.
- In this case, Type will be ‘external link.’
Label on Home Menu
- In Text, enter the name as you want it to appear on the home menu, such as Google.
- Browse for an icon.
- You can use one of the icons provided with wMobile, or you can use your own.
- If you use your own, the icon should be placed in the wMobilePhone\Res\Img folder. Images should be 24 x 24 pixels.
Browse for Image
- Click on the Browse button (3 dots or periods) to browse and select an image.
- Set Visible to True for the item to be visible on the Home menu.
- The remainder of the settings should be left alone. These last values were set when the Type was set to ‘external link.’
- Add the Form URL. The web address must include the http/https at the beginning.
- Click Save when the settings have been entered.
New Item on Home Menu
- The next time users log-in to wMobile phone, they’ll see this new link on the home menu.
Customizing the Contact Page
- None of my customers uses ALL the features of GoldMine.
- If features aren’t used, they can be removed from the Contact page to simplify the screen and minimize scrolling.
- Select wMobile at the top of the wMobile Explorer pane and then System Settings button in the middle pane to see all System Settings.
- Or select Phone in the wMobile Explorer pane and then System Settings, to see only System Settings for Phone Edition.
Contact Related Actions
- Many options in wMobile phone can be removed if they are not used or are restricted by changing the Visible setting to False.
- This includes Add to Local Address Book, Edit a Contact, New Additional Contact, New Case, New Detail, New Group Membership, New History Activity, New Opportunity, and New Pending Activity.
Contract Related Views
- Related View items can also be removed by changing the Visible setting to False.
- Related views pertain to options in the 2nd grouping on the GoldMine record, such as Additional Contacts, Cases, Details, Documents, Fields, Groups, History, Map and Directions, Notes, Opportunities, Pending, and Proximity.
For more detailed information on the product updates see the Speaker Deck below: