Sugar User Group: Importing & Exporting
On 5/22/2012, W-Systems engineering manager Eric Wikman and W-Systems software engineer Aaron Wine hosted a webinar on importing and exporting in SugarCRM. Training topics included importing data to add or update records, mapping fields, exporting from target lists, altering display columns when exporting data and more. The session wrapped up with attendee Q&A. Here are some of the most common questions we received from the session along with responses from the engineers.
- Q. How does create your unique ID work?
A. You do not need to generate your own ID. Sugar will generate one for you. However, it is important to not map any columns to the ID field (unless you have legacy IDs from an old system that you want to preserve).
- Q. Is there a way to fix records before importing them
A. You must fix records before you begin the import process. We use Google Refine to manipulate the data before we import.
- Q. How do I handle a single quote in records when importing?
A. On step 2 of the import process, if you select “View Import File Properties” you can specify if fields are qualified by a single quote or a double quote. The generally accepted way of creating CSV files (RFC 4180) is to use double-quotes to qualify text. If the text contains a double-quote then you use a double-double-quote. An example of that from RFC 4180 would be: "aaa","b""bb","ccc"
- Q. Is the Excel plugin compatible with older versions of Excel such as 2003?
A. The current generation Excel plugin only officially supports 2007 and 2010, but we can provide older versions upon request.
- Q. Is there a plugin for Lotus Notes to "sync" like the Outlook plugin?
A. Lotus Notes plugin is included in the Enterprise edition and is available as an add-on to the Professional and Corporate edition.
- Q. Can you import files from Quickbooks?
A. This is not available out of the box. However, this is a common customization we have done before.
- Q. Are you considering creating a plugin for Mac?
A. While this is not currently on the roadmap for us, it has been considered. We will further consider this when demand grows.
- Q. When I import, I only go through a 3 step procedure. On what Sugar version can we see start checking for duplicates?
A. The version we used in this webinar was Sugar 6.4.4, but the import wizard was re-written in Sugar 6.3. Any version of Sugar 6.3.x and 6.4.x works the way we demonstrated.
- Q. What about importing from our website? We have clients that register on our website, is there a way to import my contacts or clients to Sugar?
A. You can use the Web2Lead form that is part of the campaigns module, or you can use the REST Web Service API to push the data.
- Q. When you export, do you have to save the Excel sheet as a CSV to be able to import back into Sugar at another time?
A. Yes, you must save the Excel sheet as a CSV.
- Q. The batch file system isn't part of Sugar - is that a W-Systems module?
A. That is a W-Systems original that we offer. You can read more about that here.
- Q. If you do a web to lead form, how do you know the lead came from the website?
A: There is a hidden field on the form that represents which campaign ID to associate the lead record with.
For further information on any of these topics, contact us today.