Sugar 7.9 End-of-Life and What it Means for You
If you are an organization using an on-premise instance of Sugar, you’ve probably heard the word “end-of-life” thrown around quite a bit within your world. These announcements sound dire for a reason—it’s because the End-of-Life (EOL) of a software platform is something to seriously consider in your CRM strategy each year.
What does End-of-Life mean?
When a Sugar version reaches End-of-Life, it means that SugarCRM no longer provides customer support, maintenance patches, or bug fixes for that version of the platform. Because all Sugar Cloud customers are upgraded automatically, this only effects on-premise customers.
What should my organization do in response to End-of-Life?
You have several options when your version reaches EOL. They were best outlined by Rich Green in his blog post on the 7.9 EOL:
- Migrate to Sugar Cloud prior to the End-of-Life date. All requests to migrate to Sugar Cloud must be submitted by November 15th, 2018. Being on Sugar Cloud will allow you to constantly stay on the latest version of Sugar.
- Upgrade to version 8.0 (with the current patch being 8.0.1 at the time of this post), which will be supported until October 31, 2019, with an optional 12 months of extended support available for purchase. Sugar 9.0 will be released in Spring 2019.
- Purchase extended support for version 7.9, which extends support through November 15, 2019. This will ensure customers running 7.9 beyond November 15th, 2018 will be eligible to receive critical security fixes.
We recommend that you start planning for EOL six months before the EOL date. This allows you and your software partners plenty of time to develop a safe and smooth upgrade plan. If your system is highly customized, it’s even more important to start planning at least six months in advance because your system is more delicate when it comes to instance migration.
You can find more information on upgrading at these links:
- Ultimate 7.9 Installation and Upgrade Guide
- Enterprise 7.9 Installation and Upgrade Guide
- Professional 7.9 Installation and Upgrade Guide
What if I don’t upgrade?
Once the EOL date passes, you and your partner will no longer be able to call Sugar support to request help or report bugs. You also will not be eligible for security maintenance on your instance. You will certainly still have access to your instance, but we would never recommend that you stay on your version longer than it is supported by SugarCRM. As your software partner, we will do everything we can to support you and your CRM decisions, but if you remain on a version of Sugar that is no longer supported, there is usually very little we can do when you run into issues.
We understand that decisions around EOL can be overwhelming. That’s why we are here! Reach out to us to begin the process of planning for EOL of your version. We can help you make a decision, plan an upgrade, and even complete a health check to estimate what will break in the process of upgrading.