Opportunities without Revenue Line Items
One feature included in SugarCRM 7.6 is the ability to make Revenue Line Items optional for an opportunity. For certain businesses, opportunities are not to be subdivided and managed by lines of business. In this case, revenue line items are not desired. In Enterprise or Ultimate versions of SugarCRM (which are the only versions containing Revenue Line Items), at least one revenue line item is required per opportunity prior to version 7.6. This would require users to enter additional data in the Revenue Line Items Module in order to save an opportunity or have custom code created to do this automatically. SugarCRM 7.6 now resolves this issue.
Administrators can control the use of Revenue Line Items in the new Opportunities Settings Feature in Administrator as seen in Figure I.
Figure I: Opportunities Settings
In the new Opportunity Settings Feature, an Administrator can set the Opportunities Hierarchy to be Opportunities or Opportunities and Revenue Line Items as seen in Figure II.
Figure II: Opportunities Hierarchy Setting
If the Opportunity Hierarchy is set to Opportunities, then the following will occur:
- The Revenue Line Items Module will be hidden and not required for an opportunity.
- Any existing Revenue Line Items will be deleted.
- If the instance was using Revenue Line Items and is changed to not use them, the following will occur:
- The Opportunity Stage will be set to Closed Won if all Revenue Line Items are set to Closed Won for the opportunity.
- The Opportunity Stage will be set to Closed Lost if all Revenue Line Items are set to Closed Lost for the opportunity.
- The Opportunity Stage will be set to the lowest stage (by probability) of the Revenue Line Item for the opportunity if the Opportunity is not Closed Won or Closed Lost.
- The Administrator will be prompted to set the Estimated Closed Date for the Opportunity to be the Earliest or Latest Estimated Close Date for the Revenue Line Items associated with the opportunity.
- A note will automatically be created showing the sales stage, probability, expected close date and next step for each Revenue Line Item of the opportunity.
- The Forecast records will be removed and the forecast will have to be set up based on the opportunities data.
Opportunities and Revenue Line Items Hierarchy
If the Opportunity Hierarchy is set to Opportunities and Revenue Line Items, then the following will occur:
- The Revenue Line Items Module will be visible and required for an opportunity.
- All existing opportunities will have a new Revenue Line Item record created automatically. Be automatically populated with the value from the opportunity:
- Opportunity Stage (this field will be moved to Revenue Line Items from Opportunities)
- Probability (this field will be moved to Revenue Line Items from Opportunities)
- Expected Close Date
- Next Step
- The Forecast records will be removed and the forecast will have to be set up based on the new revenue line item data.
This new option released in SugarCRM 7.6 allows the opportunity hierarchy to be configured to suit the business needs for Enterprise or Ultimate implementations. For upgraded systems, Administrator must be aware that changing the Opportunities Hierarchy to Opportunities will have irreversible consequences to Revenue Line Items and Forecasting will have to be reconfigured. This is a nice option that will expand the use of opportunities for various businesses.