Document Automation in SugarCRM: PDF Manager and wDocs
SugarCRM has always focused on providing users with a modern and user-friendly standardization of documents. Creating templates is no exception. In this blog post, we explain what Sugar provides out-of-the-box when it comes to document automation and how wDocs can supplement that.
The PDF Manager is Sugar’s out-of-the-box tool used to generate and manage templates for generated PDF files for any custom or standard Sugar module. The PDF Manager enables companies to standardize and brand their documents. It also allows Sugar users to add new document templates, such as billing letters, applications, agreements, shipping slips, and order forms. Here are some of the features that come with Sugar’s PDF Manager:
- Create and edit document templates using a WYSIWYG editor (based on your needs, HTML knowledge may be required).
- Link to related records.
- Download or email any generated documents directly within Sugar.
- Two out-of-the-box templates (Quote and Invoice).
While Sugar’s out-of-the-box PDF Manager can be enough for some businesses who don’t need too many document templates with any special formatting in Sugar, it has its limitations - the template editor takes some getting used to if you have used other tools (such as Microsoft Word, Excel, or their Google counterparts) to produce documents so far. It also lacks more complex document automation features, such as using Advanced Workflows or generating multiple documents using the information from a large number of Sugar records.
With that being said, let’s have wDocs enter the ring, and take a look at how our Document Automation solution for Sugar stands out against Sugar’s PDF Manager.
Our Document Automation add-on for Sugar enables Sugar users to generate document templates using Microsoft Word or Excel. To add any new templates, in Sugar, all you need to do is to upload a .docx or .xlsx file in Sugar, mark it as a wDocs template and select the module where the template is going to be used. Here are some of the ways wDocs differs from the PDF Manager:
- wDocs allows you to merge data from multiple Sugar records in a single document
- wDocs also allows you to merge data from across multiple modules in a single document.
- Since wDocs doesn’t rely on HTML editing, the sky’s the limit! -You can generate any document types, including (but not limited to) letters, NDA agreements, letter quotes, Statements of Work, Account Visit Planning Reports, and much more.
- wDocs allows you to export documents in multiple formats including PDF, DOCX, and XLSX.
- Easy access to wDocs’ commands from List View and Record View.
- Generate label documents from a list of records. Label documents can include the data of multiple records on a single page. This is also a great way to create business cards.
- The ability to generate documents using Advanced Workflows. wDocs also adds a new action under the Process Definition’s Design window. It enables you to create documents based on any given condition in the Start Event.
Sugar’s PDF Manager is a nifty tool if you’re just starting to get used to document creation in the CRM. If your focus is on exporting documents in multiple formats with information in multiple modules, wDocs is the way to go.